Valentine’s Day is a day when people celebrate their loved ones and is celebrated annually on February 14th. This holiday falls on a Sunday this year, which means that there is a whole day of celebrating with your kids. Here are some ideas on how to make memories with your children while staying safe during COVID-19.
- Decorate the House: Spend some time doing arts and crafts and decorating the house. There are so many DIY Valentine’s Day decoration ideas on the internet. Take a few minutes to browse the web and get some inspiration and then start crafting!
- Make Breakfast Together: Start the day off with a delicious homemade breakfast and create lasting memories by doing it together
- Write Cards: Grab the art supplies and make cards with your children. These can go to your loved ones and local hospitals or nursing homes. People love to receive cards and this is a great way to spread some extra love during this difficult time.
- Get Outdoors: Fresh air is so important for a healthy mind and body. There are many different outdoor activities that families can do together, depending on the weather. If it is cold, then you can build a snowman or grab some sleds and go to a local sledding hill. Make sure to bundle up and bring a thermos or two of hot chocolate! If it is warm, then grab the bikes and go on a family ride or explore a local nature trail!
- Eat Dinner by Candlelight: Spice up the average dinner routine by taking out the nice silverware and eating by candlelight. This will add some excitement to the end of the day and will make it extra special. If you are ordering takeout, try to order from a local business. Supporting local businesses is so important, especially now.
- Family Movie Night: After such a busy day, it is nice to relax and watch a movie with loved ones. Here are some family-friendly movie suggestions: The Princess and the Frog, Sleeping Beauty, Frozen, Tuck Everlasting, Shrek, The Princess Bride, Charlotte’s Web
- Self Care: Once the kids go to bed, make sure to take some extra time for yourself to do something that you love. After all, one of the best ways to take care of your kids is to take care of yourself so that you are happy and healthy for those that depend on you.
These are just a few ideas on how to spread some love and make memories this Valentine’s Day. We should express our love and gratitude daily, but it is nice to have a special day dedicated to love as well.
By Clara Jude